The Earth is our home
- We are living at a very important time and we must save the Earth.
- All the peoples of the Earth form one big family.
- Our great task is to RESPECT NATURE and to LIVE IN PEACE.
We are part of an immense universe
- In this universe, our world is full of life, with lots of plants, animals and people.
- We depend on the water, the earth and the air and feel joy to live in this world.
- There are people who misuse the water, the earth and the air and who do harm to animals, — plants and — other people.
- Unfortunately there are wars, people who go hungry, people who have no home nor school, or that are ill, with no doctor or medicine.
What must we do?
- We must help so that everybody in the world has what they need to live.
- We, the children, WILL MAKE A SMALL EFFORT EVERY DAY to change the bad things into good things, we will treat everybody well and share — better what we have.
- If we help and love others, WE WILL LIVE IN JOY AND HAPPINESS.
- We ask an effort from grown-ups: parents, teachers, neighbors …
RESPECT AND CARE FOR LIVING THINGS
1. Know about and respect people, animals and plants
- Because they are living things.
- Because they are necessary.
- Because they produce useful and beautiful things.
2. Treat people, animals and plants well
- Because they form part of nature.
- Because they need protection.
- Because they give you what you need to live.
3. Help your companions and give them your friendship
- Because they need it.
- Because you can do a lot for them.
- Because you want to share.
4. You can help see to it that more people enjoy good and beautiful things
- Because you respect everything that lives.
- Because you want there to be happiness.
- Because you are preparing a place for the children yet to be born.
IN LIFE EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED
5. Admire how plants, animals and people live
- Watch out that nobody does them harm.
- Ask for them to be protected.
- Call out for air, water, sun and earth for everyone.
6. Keep the place where you live clean
- Keep the Earth clean and save water.
- Collect litter.
- Try to keep your things tidy.
7. Always respect these three things:
- The life of any living thing.
- People’s rights.
- The well-being of everybody.
8. Learn about the place where you live, appreciate it and share what you know
- About the living things around you.
- About the people from other places and countries.
- About what you need to live healthily.
EVERYBODY MUST HAVE WHAT THEY NEED
9. You will help to see that there are no poor
- Everybody must have what they need to live properly.
- All children must have schools.
- People in need should get the most help.
10. Help others so that they can live better
- Those who have the most must be the ones who help the most.
- You must only desire to have what you need.
- You must learn to share what you have.
11. Boys and girls are equally important
- All children should learn and grow up together.
- If a child is ill he or she must be taken care of.
- Women have the same rights as men.
- Every family will be protected.
12. Always defend the idea that any child:
- boy or girl,
- from a rich family or a poor one,
- black, white or of another co lour,
- from this country or another one,
- who talks our language or a different one,
- who is Christian, Muslim, of another religion or who has no religion,
- should have food to eat, a house, a family, rest, a school, friends, play and happiness, and if they are ill, a doctor and medicine.
NO TO WAR, YES TO PEACE
13. Make an effort to see that there is no fighting where you live
- Find out about the way of life of the people in your neighborhood or village.
- You must be able to say what you think and to meet with who you like.
- Everybody must look after their surroundings.
14. Study, paying special attention to things which help you to get along with other people
- You must study with interest everything that can help you to be a better person.
- The media will help you to understand the difficulties and problems of people around the world today.
- The better educated you are, the better you will know how to live.
15. Look after and respect other people, animals and plants
- At home.
- At school.
- In your neighborhood or village.
16. You will help to see that people live in peace
- Everybody must understand and help each other.
- Man must never make war again, nor make more arms.
- There must be peace around the world.
TO SUM UP
- We humans must look after and improve the place where we live; to do this we must live in a new way, using the good things that we already have today.
- We must speak with all people so that we profit from existing cultures and inventions.
- The people of other countries, languages, customs and religions will help us; in this way we will learn about new ways of living and treating other people.
- We will put care and effort into dealing with difficult situations.
- If we work together, we can improve the world a lot, because everybody is useful and can help.
- Let’s hope it is said of us: “They want to live in a new way”, “they are trying hard to live in peace” and ” they know how to look after the Earth”.
- The Earth Charter says what we must do to save the world: respect nature, respect human rights, org anise that everyone has what they need and always lives in peace.
- The Earth Charter will help to conserve and improve the world in which we live.
- The Earth Charter must be law for all countries and all peoples.
- The Earth Charter was first written in 1992 . Later it has been added to and improved. We ask for it to be approved, accepted and put into practice by every country of the world.